So, people have asked “Can I cycle on the Maitland Trail?”
Answer: It’s complicated.
Of the +80km of trails we maintain,
only 10.9km is open to cycling – The GART (which is part of the G2G Rail Trail).
All trails maintained by MTA:
- The GART: The Goderich-to-Auburn Rail Trail, 10.9km from Highway 21 north of Goderich to the Maitland River south of Auburn. Part of the G2G Rail Trail connecting Goderich and Guelph. With current (temporary) detours, the G2G provides roughly 142km of beautiful country trail for cycling.
- The Maitland Trail : Our main trail, currently about 51.5km from Auburn to Goderich, mostly along the Maitland River valley.
- Maitland Trail side trails: 16.7km of access trails and side trails connected to the main trail, including
- The Sifto Loop (1.6km)
- the Menesetung Trail (1.4km)
- Colborne Riverside Park (500m)
- The Millennium Trail: 2.8km along the Maitland River on the east boundary of Goderich
- The Maitland Woods: A 3.2km loop with 700m of connectors through our cherished urban woodland
Photos of the GART and G2G